
Escape to Paradise: Kesar Guest House, Sumoor Sumur, India
Escape to Paradise: Kesar Guest House - Sumoor, Sumur, India: A Review That's (Probably) More Honest Than Yours
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the Kesar Guest House in Sumoor, Ladakh. This isn't your typical sterile hotel review. This is me, unfiltered, spilling the digital tea on my experience. Expect some rambling, maybe a few emotional outbursts (good and bad!), and definitely not a perfectly polished summary. This place is remote, and my review's gonna be too.
First Impressions & Those (Annoying) Basics:
Okay, so, Accessibility. Let's be real, this ain't the Four Seasons. Wheelchair accessible? Nope. Forget it. Getting around Ladakh in a wheelchair is a Herculean task, and Kesar Guest House, though charming has definite limitations. You're in the Himalayas, people! Be prepared for stairs.
Internet access… Oh, the internet. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! technically yes. Practically? Let's just say it's more like "Wi-Fi, when the wind's blowing the right way and the moon is in the seventh house…" You get it. Internet [LAN]? Forget about it. This is a place to disconnect from the digital world (thank god! more on that later). Internet Services… limited by the aforementioned unpredictable Wi-Fi.
Cleanliness and Safety:
Okay, this is where Kesar Guest House shines. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays – they’re taking things seriously. I felt genuinely safe, which is a huge plus, especially considering the altitude and the remoteness. Hand sanitizer everywhere you look. Staff trained in safety protocol. I was impressed. They even had a doctor/nurse on call (thankfully didn't need them, but it was reassuring). Sanitized kitchen and tableware items made me breathe a sigh of relief. This matters. They really cared about hygiene, which felt extra comforting.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax (or, How I Found Enlightenment…and a Bad Case of Altitude Sickness):
Let's face it, you're not coming to Sumoor for a wild nightlife. You're here for the views. Epic, breath-taking, soul-stirring views. Seriously. They offer Pool with view but considering how cold it got, even in the summer, I don't think I would have used it. Spa/sauna or Steamroom are not on the cards. (You’re in Ladakh. Embrace the simplicity!)
But what is on the cards? Mountain treks. Things to do? Hmmm, the things to do would be walking to the Sumur Monastery! It's the main activity, and it is close to the guesthouse. A visit on a serene afternoon makes for one of the most amazing experiences of one's life! Ways to relax? That's easy! Sit on the terrace. Read a book (no, really, read a book, not an ebook!). Breathe in the crisp mountain air. Meditate (if you're into that sort of thing). Seriously, the quiet is deafening…in a good way. Okay, Maybe I got too relaxed… the altitude got to me and let me get a nasty bout of Headache.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Survival in Style (or, My Love Affair with Thukpa):
The food at Kesar Guest House? Absolutely delicious. It's not Michelin-star cuisine, but it's home-style cooking, prepared with love. Asian breakfast? Yes! Asian cuisine in the restaurant? Absolutely. Western Breakfast. Yes but trust me, go local. The Breakfast [buffet] was simple but satisfying. I was obsessed with the Soup in restaurant. Best Soup in the restaurant I think I ever had. I swear I could drink soup for all meals.
They offer a Bar and Poolside bar (yes, again, cold!). Bottle of water is a given. Coffee/tea in restaurant? Plenty of it. Restaurants: Just one, but it’s perfect. I spent hours enjoying thukpa and momos. I love Soup so much. I can't say enough!
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Make a Difference (or, Finding a Phone Charger in the Middle of Nowhere):
Cash withdrawal? Make sure you have enough cash before you get there. Currency exchange? I didn’t even bother looking. Daily housekeeping? Yep, things are kept neat. Dry cleaning and Ironing service? (I’m guessing not needed). Facilities for disabled guests? I've already covered that. Luggage storage? Absolutely. Safety deposit boxes were there, if needed.
For the Kids:
Family/child friendly? Yes, but consider the altitude. Babysitting service? I highly doubt it, but honestly, I didn't check.
The Room: My Himalayan Sanctuary (and the Minor Annoyances)
My room at Kesar Guest House? Basic, in a good way. Clean, comfortable, and with an incredible view. Air conditioning? Hahaha, no. You want the cold. Blackout curtains? They blocked the morning sun perfectly. Bed? The extra long bed was perfect after a long day of hiking. Hot water linen and laundry washing. Complimentary tea. Shower. Toiletries. They got all the basics. The Non-smoking rooms are a good thing.
Getting Around:
Airport transfer: Absolutely, arrange it! Getting around can be a challenge, so make it easy. Car park [free of charge]: Yeah, that's a bonus. Car park [on-site]: Also there. Taxi service: probably available.
Anecdotal Chaos:
Okay, so, I'm the kind of traveler who embraces the unexpected. One night, the power went out. Completely. Pitch black. I stumbled around with my phone (thanks, Wi-Fi, for something!) and somehow managed to find a candle and a book. That’s when I truly appreciated the peace and quiet. No flickering screens, no constant notifications. Just me, the mountains, and the absolute, glorious quiet. It was…transformative. It was also freezing, and I wished I had a better flashlight.
Quirky Observations & Emotional Reactions:
I cried, okay? I cried when I saw the mountain range. I cried when I had my first cup of authentic chai. I cried when the sun set and painted everything in shades of pink and orange. Okay, maybe I'm a little dramatic, but Ladakh does that to you. It strips you bare and leaves you feeling…something. You’ll leave feeling recharged.
The Imperfections (Because Nothing is Perfect):
Okay, the internet is a pain. The bathroom was a little basic. Some of the staff spoke limited English, but we figured it out. And maybe, just maybe, I could have used a better pillow. And I missed my parents. And…
The Verdict: Is Kesar Guest House Worth It?
Absolutely. Despite the (minor) imperfections, Kesar Guest House is a gem. It's a place to disconnect, to reconnect with nature, and to experience a culture that's unlike any other. It's not luxurious, but it's authentic. It’s not perfect, but it’s unforgettable.
My Strong Recommendation: Book it. Now.
The Ultimate Offer: Escape to Paradise - Your Ladakh Adventure Awaits!
Are you ready to experience the magic of Ladakh? To breathe in the crisp mountain air, lose yourself in breathtaking landscapes, and discover a culture that will leave you speechless?
Then look no further than Kesar Guest House in Sumoor, Sumur.
Here's what makes Kesar Guest House the perfect getaway:
- Unforgettable Views: Wake up to panoramic vistas of the Himalayas every single day - guaranteed to make your heart sing!
- Authentic Ladakhi Hospitality: Experience true local warmth and charm.
- Unplug and Recharge: Escape the digital noise and connect with nature. Remember, internet is a privilege.
- Delicious Home-Style Cuisine: Savor authentic Ladakhi flavors in the restaurant. Fill yourself with Soup, it's so good.
- Clean, Safe, and Comfortable: Relax knowing you're in good hands with our commitment to cleanliness and safety.
Book Your Stay at Kesar Guest House and Receive:
- Complimentary Breakfast: Fuel your adventures with a delicious Asian Breakfast!
- Insider Tips: The staff will give you all the information you need to experience the best of Sumoor!
- A Memory That Will Last a Lifetime: This will be the adventure of your life!
But wait, there's more!
For a limited time, receive a special discount when you book a stay for 3 nights or more!
Don't wait! Space is limited, and the mountains are calling.
**Click here to book your
Vienna's Maxx by Steigenberger: Luxury Redefined (Hotel Review)
Alright, buckle up, Buttercups! Because we're not just planning a trip to The Kesar Guest House in Sumoor, Sumur, India, we're planning a vibe. A chaotic-yet-beautiful, Instagram-worthy-but-actually-real, travel-experience-that-might-make-you-cry-laugh kind of adventure.
The Kesar Guest House: My Ladakh Love Affair (Potential Disaster Edition)
(Pre-Trip Ramblings - aka Me Trying to Stay Sane)
Okay, so Ladakh. The "Land of High Passes." Sounds majestic, terrifying, and probably involves altitude sickness. Packing is a nightmare. Layers, layers, layers! Apparently, you can experience all four seasons in the same day. My anxiety levels are already at Defcon 2. I'm also pretty sure I packed three pairs of the exact same black leggings. Because, comfort. And also, maybe I need them for emotional support.
(Day 1: Leh – The Gateway (and Altitude Sickness Starter Pack))
- Morning: Arrive in Leh. Flight was… bumpy. I swear, I spent half the flight clinging to the armrests, muttering prayers to the turbulence gods. The air is THIN. Like, really thin. Walking from baggage claim to the… well, anywhere is a Herculean effort. My lungs feel like they've been replaced with tiny, screaming hamsters.
- Mid-day: Check into a perfectly decent hotel in Leh. Everything feels slightly surreal. Leh is… dusty. Beautifully dusty, mind you, but still. I'm pretty sure I've already inhaled enough grit to build another mountain. Forced myself to eat a light meal, because everyone's whispering about altitude sickness. I'm already feeling a headache brewing.
- Afternoon: Rest. Seriously. Lie down. Try to breathe. Drink ALL the water. Stumble outside, mostly to take a picture of myself looking at a stupa because, INSTAGRAM. Felt the urge to crawl back into bed almost immediately. This altitude thing is no joke.
- Evening: A simple dinner. Attempted to eat the thukpa (noodle soup), and nearly choked. The taste was amazing, though, after a little while. Also, I'm pretty sure I spent the entire evening trying to not-throw-up. It was a battle, let me tell you. Eventually, fell asleep.
(Day 2: Leh – The Tourist Trap with a View (And More Altitude Woes))
- Morning: Awoken by the sun. It was already blasting through the curtains. Felt slightly better than yesterday, which is saying something. Forced myself to walk around a bit. Visited Leh Palace. The views are STUNNING. Seriously, breathtaking. But walking up those steps felt like climbing Everest. I spent a solid ten minutes panting like a puppy. And for what? A view!
- Mid-day: The Shanti Stupa. It's… beautiful. The architecture is incredible. And even more steps! I'm starting to suspect the people who built this place enjoyed watching tourists suffer. I nearly cried from exhaustion. The air is so thin.
- Afternoon: Tried to visit a local market. Honestly, I just wanted something comforting, and found some delicious momos in the end. Ate way too many. They were warm and filling. Also, accidentally bought a yak-wool hat that makes me look like a gnome. It's perfect.
- Evening: More rest. The sun sets over the mountains, painting everything in golden light. Feeling slightly less miserable. It's still hard to think that this is real.
(Day 3: To Nubra Valley! (Maybe, If My Lungs Cooperate)
- Morning: Early start! The drive to Nubra Valley is supposed to be epic, but also passes through Khardung La, one of the highest motorable passes in the world. My anxiety level spikes. I'm hoping my oxygen levels are as high as the pass.
- Mid-day: The drive. It's… intense. Winding roads, sheer drops, and breathtaking scenery. I alternately stared out the window, clutching my stomach (because I get carsick), and took a million photos. Khardung La. Arrived. Struggled for breath. Took a picture. Proud.
- Afternoon: Arrive at The Kesar Guest House in Sumoor! Relief washed over me. It's beautiful. The staff are lovely. It's a simple place, but the views are incredible. The rooms are comfortable, and I already feel like I could spend a week here.
- Evening: Dinner at the guest house. The food is simple, but home cooked and delicious. Spent the evening chatting with other people. Enjoyed some yak cheese (it was good!). Tried to get some sleep because i know tomorrow will be packed.
(Day 4: Sumoor & Hunder (The Double-Humped Camel Extravaganza))
- Morning: After a nice breakfast, we traveled to the Sumoor Monastery. The inside was quiet and still. It felt like I could breathe here.
- Mid-day: Nubra Valley is famous for its sand dunes and double-humped camels! Spent the afternoon riding a camel. It's… surreal. Being perched atop a camel, looking out at the dunes, with the mountains as a backdrop is something. It wasn't elegant (I nearly fell off), but it was a memory.
- Afternoon: After the Camel ride, we took a beautiful Jeep ride. I almost felt like i was in a movie! Then we all tried Sand-boarding. It was less graceful. My face is probably still covered in sand.
- Evening: Dinner, and a long chat with the other travelers. Sharing stories and experiences, and then spending the night under the starry sky. I was still shocked by how many stars i could see.
(Day 5: Diskit Monastery & The Longing to Stay (The Tears are Real)
- Morning: Visited Diskit Monastery. The giant Maitreya Buddha statue is awe-inspiring. It's huge. Magnificent. And I'm pretty sure I felt a spiritual moment, or maybe it was just the lack of oxygen getting to my brain.
- Mid-day: Wandered the village of Sumur. Found a tiny, unassuming shop selling the best apricot jam I've ever tasted. Bought five jars. No regrets.
- Afternoon: Spent the afternoon going on a long walk. I felt calmer. I found myself really wanting to stay.
- Evening: Our last dinner. Spent some time talking about how we will be going our separate ways. I think most of us were going to miss each other.
(Day 6: Departure (The Bitter-Sweet Goodbye))
- Morning: Breakfast at the guest house. Packed my bags. Feeling a strange mix of relief (because I’m going home) and sadness (because I love this place already).
- Mid-day: The drive back to Leh. More winding roads, more stunning views, more prayers to the turbulence gods.
- Afternoon: Flight back home. Looked out the window one last time. Ladakh, you were a beautiful, exhausting, exhilarating, and occasionally nauseating adventure. I'll be back, I swear. Maybe next time, I'll pack more oxygen… and less black leggings.
Quirky Observations & Emotional Reactions:
- The prayer flags. Everywhere. They flutter in the wind, carrying prayers to the heavens. It creates a feeling of peace. Sometimes I feel like they are just… watching.
- The altitude. It's like being constantly… breathless. I think I look like a beetroot a lot of the time. Embarrassing.
- The hospitality. The people of Ladakh are incredibly friendly and welcoming. They will offer you warmth and food. It’s a true comfort.
- The beauty. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Ladakh is one of the most beautiful places on earth. But take it slow.
- The apricot jam. Life-changing. Seriously.
- I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. It's a real thing.
- The air felt pure.
- I will always remember this trip.
This is just a start. Remember that travel isn’t always perfect. There will be delays, there might be altitude sickness, you may hate some things, and you’ll probably fall in love with others. Embrace the chaos, roll with the punches, and for the love of all that is holy, drink the water! And take lots of pictures. Because even the less glamorous moments make for the best stories. Now go forth and explore… and maybe pack some extra black leggings.
Sarajevo's Most Luxurious Apartment: Parking Included!
Escape to Paradise: Kesar Guest House - FAQ (and My Ramblings)
1. Seriously, is Kesar Guest House *actually* paradise? (And is Sumoor even real?)
Okay, let's be real. Paradise? Maybe a *slightly* overused word. It's not like you're dodging cherubs and fountains of youth... unless you count the endless cups of yak butter tea as some kind of secret elixir. Sumoor IS real, though – you'll believe it when you're staring at the Nubra Valley, feeling the wind whip your hair, and wondering if your Instagram feed can *possibly* capture this insane beauty. Kesar Guest House? It's definitely a slice of heaven. More on that later, trust me.
My first impression? "Woah." That was it. Basic, I know. But after a week of Delhi chaos, stepping into that courtyard, with the apricot trees and the *silence*... it was like someone hit the pause button on my brain. Then the altitude hit and I was gasping for air, a different kind of "woah."
2. What's the food situation? Because I'm a hungry traveler.
The food is… a revelation. Forget your fancy avocado toast. Here, it’s *momos* and *thukpa* heaven. Okay, maybe I got a *little* addicted to the momos. They're homemade at Kesar, stuffed with this unbelievably flavorful filling. I practically inhaled them. And the apricot jam with the breakfast? Don't even *think* about rationing it. My first morning, I piled it on everything. The cook, a sweet woman named Dolma, just smiled. I think she secretly enjoyed my gluttony.
Now, be warned: the menu isn’t exactly Michelin-star level variety. It's hearty, delicious, and repetitive in the best way. You *will* want more vegetables, though. Maybe pack some instant miso soup to add to your thukpa if that's your thing. I didn't learn this until day 5 and was filled with a deep regret because I was getting scurvy-like after 2 weeks of deliciousness.
3. The rooms. Are they actually… comfortable? Or Instagrammable? (Priorities, people!)
Comfortable? Yes! Luxurious? Well, no. But that’s part of the charm. Think clean, simple, and with the *most* amazing view from most of the rooms. Especially the one with the balcony – it was my personal meditation zone. That balcony felt like I was floating on a cloud.
Instagrammable? Oh, absolutely. But the photos never quite do it justice. You're surrounded by the Himalayas, you can see the stars, the morning light is *insane*. I took a million pictures. Half were blurry, half were overexposed, but I still scroll through them and feel this pang of *missing it*. It's a good kind of longing of having to be back there. I actually cried when I left. Okay, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but after feeling so much pressure, it's worth it.
4. Hot water? A necessity, or a luxury?
Ah, the great hot water debate. Let's put it this way: It's available. But don't expect steaming hot, spa-level luxury. It's more like… warm-ish water. Which, after a day exploring the cold desert landscapes, is a gift from the gods. Plan your showers strategically. Early morning works best before the sun has warmed the solar panels. Evening? Could be a dicey situation. I had one shower where I was pretty much doing a Wim Hof Method cold plunge. My teeth *chattered*. But even that's a memory I now cherish. It toughens you up!
5. The staff. Are they nice? Or are they going to leave me stranded?
The staff at Kesar Guest House are *absolutely* lovely. They're the salt of the earth. The owner, Sonam, is an absolute gem. His English is great and he is so so helpful. I found them incredibly warm, welcoming and helpful. They'll help you arrange treks, tours, anything you need. They're not hovering all the time (thank heavens!) but they're always there when you need them. One day, I was feeling a bit off from the altitude, and Sonam brought me ginger tea and talked to me. It's the little things, you know? It was so damn thoughtful, I actually have teary eyes just remembering it. It made the whole experience 100x better.
6. What’s there to *do* in Sumoor? Besides, you know, breathe? (And what about the internet?)
Breathe is a good start. Sumoor is all about embracing the slower pace of life. Visit the Sumoor Monastery. Take a camel ride in the sand dunes (yes, really!). Hike to the Panamik hot springs (bring your swimsuit!). Explore the villages and meet the locals. I found the best adventure there was simply wandering with no plan. Get lost, get found (metaphorically I mean). Because the signal comes and goes, but the connection you make with a place and yourself? That stays. The internet? Let's just say it’s a blessing in disguise. You can forget about doomscrolling and actually, you know, *experience* life. I actually managed to go several days without checking my email. It was weird at first. Then it was glorious. Don’t expect fast speeds. Embrace the digital detox. It's seriously good for the soul.
7. Okay, so there are downsides? Be honest.
Ugh, yeah. There are always downsides, aren't there? The altitude sickness is a real thing. Take it easy when you arrive. Drink tons of water. (Like, more than you think you need.) The power cuts can be a bit of a pain. Bring a portable charger. And the roads... well, they're not exactly smooth. Prepare for a bumpy ride to get there. Oh, and the *bats*. There were bats in my room one night. Okay, I'm not going to lie: I freaked the hell out. Screamed like a banshee. Sonam came and shooed them out, but I barely slept after that. Still, it's one of my best memories.
8. Would you go back to Kesar Guest House? (And how soon?)

