
Yaman Restaurant: Sri Lanka's BEST Kept Culinary Secret (Kolonna)
Yaman Restaurant: Sri Lanka's BEST Kept Culinary Secret (Kolonna) - Is it Really Worth the Hype? (A Rambling Review)
Okay, so you've heard the whispers. "Yaman Restaurant in Kolonna… Sri Lanka's best-kept culinary secret!" Sounds idyllic, right? Pristine plates, perfect sunsets… the whole shebang. Well, I’ve been, I’ve eaten, and I’m here to tell you everything. Buckle up, because this is going to be less a polished travelogue and more a chaotic, wonderfully messy, and hopefully hilarious account.
First off, accessibility. Finding Yaman itself is a bit of an adventure. Kolonna isn’t exactly a bustling metropolis. Getting there… the roads are… well, let's just say I'm pretty sure my rental car aged ten years on the drive. Accessibility for those differently-abled? Hmm, let's be honest, not their strong suit. The terrain is not exactly wheelchair-friendly, and the pathways are a bit of a scramble. Forget smooth surfaces. It’s all about the experience, I'm being told. So keep that in mind if you need serious accommodations.
On-site accessible restaurants/lounges, Wheelchair accessible Nope. Not really.
Internet Access Ah, the digital age intrudes! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas. Praise be! Because, honestly, sometimes you just need to send a meme. The Wi-Fi was… okay. Sometimes it worked beautifully, sometimes it vanished into the ether. Embrace the digital detox if you must. Just saying.
Things to do, ways to relax… Now, this is where Yaman starts to flex its muscles. The Fitness center? Tiny, but functional. I managed to work up a sweat, mostly from the humidity. Gym/fitness, check. Massage? YES. Absolutely, unequivocally YES. I got the traditional Sri Lankan massage. I almost fell asleep mid-rub and drooled all over my forehead. Utter bliss. The Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Sauna are all available. They really know how to melt away stress. Pool with view? Oh, the pool. Infinity edge overlooking the… jungle? Beautiful in its own way. Not quite Maldives level, but still lovely. They have a Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]!
And here’s the kicker: Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath. I indulged. Self-care, people! Treat yourself! The foot bath was a revelation. My feet were so soft I wanted to eat them. (Don’t judge.)
Cleanliness and safety… This is where the pandemic-era realities hit. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items… they’ve clearly upped their game. Felt very safe overall. Rooms sanitized between stays. Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment Good to know. Sanitized kitchens, check.
Dining, drinking, and snacking… This is the meat of the matter, right? The food! The legend! A la carte in restaurant. Yes. They have a fantastic menu. Alternative meal arrangement. They'll accommodate, which is excellent. Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant. They serve some of the best Sri Lankan food I've tasted. International cuisine in restaurant. Yes. There is a wide variety. Bar, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour… Okay, so, the bar. It's got a nice selection of cocktails and the happy hour, oh, the happy hour. Get your drinks on and enjoy! Poolside bar. It's a bit hidden! but if you are up for a swim, its a lovely experience. Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant. All of those are available.
Let me tell you about the dinner. I ordered the seafood platter. It arrived, a glorious mountain of grilled prawns, lobster, and some fish I couldn't identify (delicious, whatever it was). The sauces… oh, the sauces. Spicy, creamy, fragrant. I ate until I could barely breathe. No regrets. The desserts… get the watalappan (a custard dessert). Just do it.
Services and conveniences… They try their best. Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator… They're there, generally. The concierge was super helpful (when I could find him). The elevator… well, it's a small one, but at least they have one! Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center, A bit basic.
For the kids… Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal. They're open to families, but the kids' facilities are limited. There is a kiddie pool.
Access… CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private]. They do their best to keep things secure.
Getting around… Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking. The car park is free. Everything else, you arrange.
Available in all rooms… Okay, let's get into the nitty-gritty of the rooms. Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens They are spacious, and clean, and the basic things, like the free Wi-Fi and the air conditioning, actually work. My room had a balcony overlooking the jungle. It was amazing to sit out there at night and listen to the sounds of the forest.
The Anecdotes (and the Imperfections)…
- One morning at breakfast, I was attacked by a rogue swarm of ants. They were after my croissant. I bravely fought them off.
- The coffee was… variable. Some days it was nectar of the gods, other days it tasted like dishwater.
- I did get lost wandering around the property once. The signage could be better.
- I tried to order room service at 3 AM. Let's just say my limited Sinhala didn't help.
Quirky Observations or Emotional Reactions…
- The staff were lovely. Genuinely friendly and helpful, even when I was being a demanding tourist.
- The sunsets were… transcendent. Worth the price of admission alone.
- I felt a level of peace I haven't felt in years while I was there.
So, is Yaman Restaurant Worth It?
Okay, let's get to the point. The food? Absolutely. The spa? Yes, please! The location? Remote, beautiful, and a bit of a trek. The overall experience? A bit rough around the edges, but undeniably charming.
Here’s the thing: if you’re looking for a perfectly polished, cookie-cutter hotel experience, maybe Yaman isn’t for you. But if you're looking for an authentic slice of Sri Lanka, delicious food, relaxation, and a truly unique experience, Book your accommodation today and get ready to be amazed!
Special Offer for YOU!
Escape to Yaman Restaurant & Resort in Kolonna and experience Sri Lanka's best-kept culinary secret!
Book your stay for minimum 2 nights and get FREE upgrade to a suite with balcony to enjoy the magical sunrises along with:
- Daily complimentary breakfast with a vast variety of asian and western dishes
- One free massage at the spa (choose from a variety of options to unwind)
- Complimentary bottle of the best winery in Sri Lanka
**Don’t miss this chance to relax, indulge, and discover the beauty of
Malacca's BEST Family Suite: Bridge Views & 2BR Luxury at Mutiara Beach!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. This is my experience – a chaotic, slightly-tipsy, and hopefully hilarious dive into the supposed paradise of Yaman Restaurant Kolonna, Sri Lanka. Expect spills, thrills, maybe a few tears (tears of laughter, hopefully), and definitely some questionable decisions.
Yaman Restaurant Kolonna: The Messy, Honest, Funny, and Human Experience
Day 1: Arrival (and immediate cultural confusion)
- 10:00 AM: Arrive at Bandaranaike International Airport. Jetlag is already hitting me like a ton of bricks. After the flight, I was expecting to be collected by the driver, but there's a problem. The driver is nowhere to be found. The woman next to me, already fluent in Sinhalese (or so it seemed) starts laughing so hard she almost pees herself. (I'm pretty sure she was laughing at me.) Finally, after an hour of frantic phone calls and a near-meltdown on my part, the driver shows up. Turns out, there was some kind of scheduling mix-up. Welcome to Sri Lanka!
- 12:00 PM: Drive to Kolonna. The landscape blurs into a kaleidoscope of vibrant colors, chaotic traffic (tuk-tuks are the devil, I tell you), and a million and one smells. I swear I can taste the spices already.
- 2:00 PM: Finally, finally, arrive at Yaman. The place is stunning, I'll give it that. Seriously instagramable. I mean, the view of the reservoir takes your breath away. But the rooms is the size of a shoebox, and the AC is a bit dicey. I'm starting to question my packing choices. Definitely forgot my bug spray.
- 3:00 PM: Lunch at the restaurant. Ordered something called "Devilled Shrimp." It was a glorious explosion of flavor with a kick so spicy, I'm fairly certain I saw my life flash before my eyes. My stomach, however, does not seem to be a fan.
- 4:00 PM: Nap time! I think that after a nap, I'm going to need a bucket of water.
- 6:00 PM: Stagger out of the room, feeling slightly refreshed. Time for sunset photos and a stroll around the property. Try to act natural and not like a complete tourist, failing miserably. Take a million photos of the reservoir.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. Decide to play it safe with the "Seafood Rice." Mildly disappointed. Maybe I need to be braver with the food. Try to order a local beer. Mispronounce it. Get a confused look from the waiter. End up with something called a "Lion Lager." It’s okay, I guess.
Day 2: Temples, Tears and Tummy Troubles
- 8:00 AM: Wake up to the sounds of birds chirping and the distant chanting of monks. The view from the window is still breathtaking. I need to make a promise to my self to be more active.
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. The food is decent, but the coffee is like dishwater. I make mental note to invest in some instant coffee.
- 10:00 AM: Trip to the local temple. This is where things get interesting. It’s a beautiful, vibrant, and slightly overwhelming experience. So many colors, incense smoke, and people. I feel underdressed, underprepared, and utterly mesmerized. Encounter a very friendly monk who tries to teach me some basic Sinhalese. I butcher the pronunciation. He bursts out laughing. I join him.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch. Eat the lunch that I bought, its so good, that I ate it all.
- 1:00 PM: Realize after lunch that my stomach is not happy. The “Devilled Shrimp” is paying its respects. I've spent most of the afternoon in the bathroom. This is not how I envisioned my Sri Lankan adventure.
- 4:00 PM: Contemplate the meaning of life while staring at the ceiling.
- 6:00 PM: Stagger out for dinner. Still feeling a bit dodgy, so I order plain rice and a boiled egg. (Living the dream, people.) Watch the sunset, feeling a mix of gratitude for the beautiful scenery and a healthy dose of self-pity.
Day 3: Redemption (and More Food)
- 8:00 AM: Miraculously, I feel slightly better. Thank the gods (and the plain rice). The coffee situation is still dire.
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. It must be a special day, because there is actual fruit.
- 10:00 AM: Hike to the top of a local rock. Okay, "hike" is a strong word. It’s more like a slightly strenuous walk with a lot of sweating. But the views from the top are incredible. I actually start to feel a sense of accomplishment, or at least, a sense that I won't die.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch with a local family. The food is amazing. So authentic, so flavorful, so spicy. I might have gone a little overboard.
- 2:00 PM: Nap time! I promised myself that I would get some sleep.
- 4:00 PM: Wander around the local markets. This is sensory overload in the best way possible. The smells of spices, the vibrant colors of the fabrics, the chatter of the vendors. Almost get scammed while buying a "genuine" sapphire. (I'm pretty sure it's glass).
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. Feeling adventurous, I try a dish called "Hoppers". They're a type of pancake served with eggs and curry. Delicious, if a little intimidating.
Day 4: Leaving (and Last-Minute Panic)
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast. Still no decent coffee.
- 9:00 AM: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Realize I have no room in my luggage. Start frantically stuffing things into my backpack.
- 11:00 AM: Checking out. Saying goodbye to the reservoir, which actually seems to be prettier than the first day.
- 12:00 PM: Drive back to the airport. Reflecting on the trip. It wasn't always perfect. I got lost, I got sick, I made some questionable food choices. But, I also saw some incredible things, met some amazing people, and had an experience that was uniquely mine. And that, my friends, is what travel is all about.
- 3:00 PM: Board the plane. Jet lag, a slight stomach ache, and a suitcase overflowing with questionable souvenirs. Feeling strangely sentimental as the plane takes off. I've left a little piece of myself in Sri Lanka.
- 4:00 PM: Promise myself that I'll start practicing my Sinhalese before I return.
In conclusion: Yaman Restaurant Kolonna, you were a beautiful, chaotic, and unforgettable experience. I wouldn't have had it any other way. (Except maybe with slightly better coffee.)
Greek Island Paradise: Your Dream Villa Awaits!
Yaman Restaurant: Sri Lanka's BEST Kept Culinary Secret (Kolonna) - FAQ (and My Ramblings!)
Okay, okay, so what's the big deal about Yaman Restaurant? Why's everyone whispering about it?
Alright, buckle up, because this isn't your typical "restaurant review" answer. Yaman in Kolonna, Sri Lanka… it's… special. Think of it like this: you've been driving for hours, dusty and tired, and then BAM! Lush green rice paddies, a tiny village, and tucked away, a restaurant that feels like you've stumbled onto a secret. It IS a secret, mostly. It's not on every blog, it's not blasting ads on Instagram. It’s a seriously hidden gem.
The "big deal" is the food, obviously. But it's more than just the food. It's the experience. The family that runs Yaman? Absolute sweethearts. They genuinely *love* what they do. You're not just eating a meal; you're being welcomed into their lives. I swear, the matriarch, "Mama," she looks at you with those knowing eyes, like she *knows* how hungry you are, even if you haven't admitted it to yourself yet.
What kind of food do they serve? Tell me!
Sri Lankan, duh! But it's REAL Sri Lankan. The kind your *amma* (mother) or *achchi* (grandmother) would make. Forget the fancy, watered-down Instagram versions. We're talking authentic curries, fresh seafood (if they have it, because it's all about what's available that day!), rice that could feed a small army, and the best *pol sambol* (coconut relish) you'll ever taste. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. And the rotis? Oh, the rotis… light, fluffy, and perfect for scooping up all that glorious curry. Seriously, I'd go back just for the rotis.
So they have *the* Pol Sambol, right? What's so good about it?
Dude. *The* Pol Sambol. It's not just good; it's legendary. I've eaten *a lot* of pol sambol in my life – I'm talking, like, a borderline shameful amount – and Yaman's is… look, it's a religious experience, okay? The blend of fresh coconut, chili, lime, and maybe a few secret ingredients they won't tell you... it's just this perfect explosion of flavors in your mouth. It's got the right amount of heat, the tanginess from the lime is perfection, and the coconut is grated to the absolutely ideal texture. I seriously considered smuggling some home, but it probably wouldn't have survived the flight. I still dream about it. I'm probably going to get on another flight just for the pol sambol… don't judge.
Is it hard to get to? Because Kolonna feels pretty 'off the beaten path.'
Yeah, it's a bit of a trek. Kolonna is definitely *off* the beaten path. You're not going to just stumble upon it. You'll likely need a driver, or a very adventurous spirit… and a good map. The road is… let's say, "rustic." There may be potholes. There may be cows. Embrace it! It's part of the charm! I actually *loved* the drive. Being away from the chaotic cities and seeing the Sri Lankan countryside was just… well, it was magic! It added to the anticipation, you know? But yeah, factor in some travel time. Plan for a day trip, maybe even an overnight stay somewhere nearby if you want to take your time.
Do you need a reservation? I hate making reservations!
YES! Please, please, PLEASE make a reservation. Call them! Email them! (I don't have their number, so find it via Google, ok?). It’s a small place, and they cook everything fresh. You don’t want to show up and be disappointed. It’s not exactly the kind of place where they can just whip up a table for fifty people on a whim! Trust me, I learned this the hard way. I showed up once, hopeful and starving, and… well, let's just say I didn't enjoy the drive back that much. Learn from my mistakes! Call ahead. Be polite. Get a reservation. Your stomach will thank you.
Okay, so what *was* the absolute best thing you ate there? Because I NEED to know.
Oh. My. God. This is a tough one. Everything was so amazing. But OK, I have to say… the *crab curry*. They had crab curry on the day I went, and… wow. It was HUGE, first of all. Seriously, like, a whole, massive crab, swimming in this rich, creamy, spicy coconut milk curry. I got it, along with the *pol sambol*, rice, and all the other sides – I think there was dhal (lentil curry), a vegetable curry, and some fried fish… I was in heaven. The crab itself was perfectly cooked – so tender, so flavorful. You could taste the ocean. And the curry… oh, the curry! I used every single piece of roti to sop it up. I probably ate way too much, and I definitely made a mess, but I didn’t care. It was pure, unadulterated joy. I'm not even a huge crab person, usually, but this? This was *transcendent*. I still remember the taste. And I swear, it almost made me cry. In a good way, though! Seriously, if they have crab curry, order it. It is worth the price of admission and then some.
Is it expensive?
No, not really. It’s incredibly good value for the quality and the experience. It's not *cheap*, cheap, but trust me, you're not going to break the bank. You're getting world-class food in a truly unique setting. Think of it as an investment in your happiness. And your stomach's happiness. I'd happily pay double what they charge, honestly. I think I *should* pay double, for the sheer joy it gives me.
Any down sides? Anything I should be aware of?
Okay, honesty time. There are a couple of minor downsides. Firstly, the location. It's not exactly convenient to get to. Secondly, some people might find the service a bit… relaxed. It's not a fast-paced, "get in, get out" kind of place. Things are cooked fresh, you might have to wait a bit. But honestly? That's part of the charm. Just relax, take a deep breath, enjoy the scenery, and know it's worth the wait. And the restroom is… basic. But clean! Look, you're there for the food and the experience, not the fancy facilities.

